December 12, 2017

Thank you Dad!

     
It is quite strange to write words on the page knowing it is for a room full of my families dearest and most precious people and I am not there. But I think I have your attention (or Aunt Fizz does). Thank you.

I have spent this past week thinking about each of you in this room. So many of you have played a role in my childhood and are like family still today. My most recent thought was, how do I address a room full of people gathered to celebrate MY DAD?!?


I first off will say I am glad you are gathered for a party and not a funeral service because it means we are talking TO my dad not just ABOUT him!
I have told my parents, I do not want to live with any regrets with them or in life in general.
They are cherished people and these moments with and for them, are cherished moments.

                  
     Okay-this is NOT a memorial service, so lets start embarrassing my Dad shall we?
________________________________________
     Do you know the reason why my dad is so willing to go out in the boat in any weather? Do you know why he can stand the rain and cold and salty wet air on a cold June day? 


Well, let's put it this way, If you had to raise the 14 year old Liz Scribner and you made it through her adolescent years,  then you are ready for any weather!!!
 Heck you could squash climate change with one fist! A salty, cold, bumpy boat ride is a cup of tea compared to what they endured with me as a teen.

Thanks Dad (and Mom!)
____________________________
Typical Scribners, no matter what mistakes I made in my life, they always remained right there for me providing 100% unconditional love and support. At home, school, camp and through travel.


It actually is mind boggling to reflect back on all the efforts my Dad has put forth to be on the sidelines of all my athletic games, from t-ball, NYA, High school and through college and into my adult sporting events.


 An amazing fact in my life is most every coach and team member of every athletic team I have played for knows my Dad from Maine to Alaska! 
Even my "Over 40" National Championship  hockey team that played in Alaska and Florida. He showed up! Wow- I have tears now in my eyes just typing this. 

Thank you Dad!

______________________________________________________________________



So 17 years ago I found Alaska and  I found hockey, Mtn biking and backcountry skiing. I also found my life partner Skip Repetto (he was my defensive partner in hockey!)



Dad handed me off quite willingly, as I was kind of a high needs daughter, even at age 30! 


To this day, I tell my students how stubborn I was around my parents. I was often irrationally stubborn and I will publicly apologize to my Dad now- amongst our nearest and dearest of friends,  for never coming to that conclusion or accepting that reality while under your roof.
_____

But here is a question for the friends gathered here today.  I will state it like I do to my 3rd graders.
"Show me THUMBS UP 👍👍👍👍 if you think it is possible that a child can pick up characteristics like stubbornness, from a father figure?!?!?!?"
I sure hope there are a lot of thumbs up in this PCC right now! 
___________________
Let's take a moment to discuss this...
My Dad is a guy that played by his rules, as long as no one got hurt


He always drove!


He always packed and re-packed the car for any trip. If you put a bag in, he took it out...he had a plan!



Even the trash in the tractor- he has a plan and he has to drive!



Now lets talk safety. Thank goodness modern seat belts make sounds when not on, b.c  Dad would NEVER wear one. And life jackets? forget it!

         
Dad we all appreciated your plans and to this day still do. None of us would be where we are today without your "you need a plan" talk.
_______________________________
Did someone just ask,  why did you move so far away Liz? Well,  sometimes folks need to follow their our own plans and that is easier far away...Even my mom experienced that sometimes!





I know I am not the only one in the audience tonight that has learned from your wisdom Dad.So like I do with my 3rd graders-put a hand on your head if you have benefitted from some Curt Scribner wisdom in your life.
🙌🙌🙌
One last point to Dad and Mom that I wanted to make regarding having to raise me.


 I am glad you have learned the secret. Dogs are easier to raise then kids! I want to apologize that I didn't react to treat training, choke collars or socialization classes. 

I am sorry I didn't follow you around all day and do EVERYTHING you told me to. But I am happy you get to experience those joys now with your four legged "friends."




Dad, Truth be told, one of the main reasons we are moving to the East Coast this summer is 'cause you go to bed so damn early - I can't get your advice anymore on a daily basis with my work schedule, due to the 4 hr time change. 


Skip and I actually can't wait to be closer to you two. We have had so much fun paddling, walking, skiing and talking life with you when you visit Alaska that we decided we want more of that and are coming your way to get it!










Dad, a favorite quote that keeps me going on every birthday is one that I want to share with you and everyone out in the audience
(Please raise your glasses or your thumbs for dad)
"Keep Calm
Be Crazy
Laugh
and Live it up because this is the oldest you've been 
and the youngest you'll ever be."

Cheers to a man that everyone in this room and a some folks in Alaska really love and appreciate.
Goodnight all and thank you for listening!
Aunt Fizz




1 comment:

samantha said...

Mr Scribner - have a very happy birthday! I feel lucky to have met you and all the Scribner through the HWS days and to hear some sideline “wisdom” in person. You are the best and I wish you many happy days ahead with the whole family! -Sam Emmet Janney

Older Posts