April 09, 2016

Pastoral

I had never toured out to Pastoral Peak- a popular go-to in Turnagain Pass that has become more common than not to choose as a backcountry ski destination. I have watched many people hit it this season and have wondered when I would make it the tour of choice.

After the fact, I see why it is a go-to in our spring season, with longer days and stronger muscles. There is no need to rush with 360 degree break taking views, unique terrain features and many lines to scope out on the climb out.




Like most things in the life the process of touring out to Pastoral is half the fun- long mellow skin track with room for conversations, snack breaks, and wildlife viewing.
We saw a ptarmigan and a caterpillar!


Caterpillar

Ptarmigan

Walk n Talk


Jo and Jenna were the only other party taking the tour on this gorgeous day- wonderful to follow their lead.



Josh n Skip-great fun to play with  Josh with gear other than skates, stick n puck and in a recreation destination other than an ice rink!


Snack at the pass...

Pausing to observe snow transport and the blue sky... before going up for the view.


The afternoon introduced a bit of product testing- my (Patagonia)Houdini vs Jeff's (BD) Alpine Start hoody. Results are not in yet-but his hood was cooler!

Skipper dropping in with the seasonal Glides in the backdrop. A typical view most of the season this year in Turnagain Pass.
 Josh dropping the knee. 
Always fun to tour with a tele skier like Josh who makes it so artful and smooth.
 Jeff coming to join us from above
 As usual Aunt Fizz gets kind of sensitively descriptive with her summary of ski tours. This blog will be no different. I had a fabulously long exhausting day of fun. A breathtaking morning with blue sky- great energy, and entertaining company. A destination that offered excellent snow, choice lines, and no crowds. 

Thanks guys for the tour to Pastoral-I get it now! 



No comments:

Older Posts