HAPPY BIRTHDAY SKIP!
Ever since moving to Alaska and being married to Skip, birthdays have taken on a new role in my life. Birthdays are still a number, on a day, marked on a calendar. They are still a single date that holds precedent on any to-do list. They still cause a bit of an anxious tummy as they get close on the monthly calendar because there is this unspoken expectation for action. Right? Gifts, cards, phone calls and more. After all, everyone only has just one birthday, once a year- better not miss it right???
Well, I have learned in time that the there really is no need for anxieties around birthdays. That anxiety is up to me to control. My nieces and nephews sure know I practice very little consistency when it comes to celebrating their day of birth and holidays. They also know that my material giving is in NO WAY tied to my love for them. My love for them is priceless.
The same goes for my better half…SKIP.
Today is Skip's day of birth! He expects nothing, asks for nothing, and needs nothing, but I still feel this draw to "purchase, make or give" a gift of some sort. This birthday reaction always fascinates me.
Last night after my hockey game I was sweaty and tired and heading home and thought…"I should go and buy…. for his birthday" but then knew the best gift for Skip was to not stop and not purchase anything- but to head home and be with him. This simple celebration for life and relationship has been an incredible gift that he has given me over the past 15 years.
I thought I would take a little time on this day-his birthday- and celebrate Skip. He is a gift to me, to his family, to my family and our friends and we are thankful.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SKIP and THANK YOU for….
MUSIC!
I love your quote that it is never too late to learn an instrument b.c you picked up the guitar at 38!
________________________________________________________
Nature trails, bike trails, walking trails and ski trails.
If I could post pics of all your trail work, we may have to leave the city, but instead I will just state that I love how you choose to keep up the local trails. Somedays this winter you would disappear with your shovel and water bottle and would come home exhausted hours later stating you were building snow berms for biking and they are "AWESOME!"
You would then proceed to go ride them.
The same goes for love of simple trail elements that allow users to safely cross, climb or descend a tricky part of single track trail.
Skip your enthusiasm for local trail work is inspiring.
Winter and Skiing.
Well …recently in my adult life...I have learned that winter means skiing and skiing really means contentment. Climbing up - skiing down and making smart choices the whole way. My appreciation for backcountry skiing is a learned love - thanks to you, Skip. I will forever be thankful for your patience teaching me the ways and means of backcountry skiing.
I also will never get tired watching you wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, both up and down the hills! :)
Lastly, I want to celebrate your love of our dogs. When I first met you, the love you had for your Labs was so incredible and I get to celebrate that still-to this day-with our crazy lab, Jupiter. You give her such companionship and love!
Happy Birthday Skip!
I celebrate you on this day and thank you for the gift of relationship- with nature, dogs, the seasons, neighbors, each other and the greater world surrounding!
Now... lets make everyday like it's a birthday and continue to be thankful for all we share together!


No comments:
Post a Comment