May 31, 2009

Ode to my first pair of Dansko's




I didn't like you when I first saw you.

I was headed to Italy and Greece
It was 1995
I was chaperoning a trip and was bringing my mom,
along with approx. 10 teenagers.

I needed the perfect shoe
It needed to be comfortable
It needed to be good for walking
It needed to be able to be "dressed up"

I tried you on and the false heel confused me.

I hadn't seen many Dansko's around
but the sales person said "this is the shoe for you!"
You came home with me
and have been with me ever since.

It is time to say Farewell along with Thanks.

For the past 15 years you have walked me through lots....
You took me up the Acropolis
You walked me through Pompeii.
You took me to Spain and
many states in the US.

You got me through graduate school
You walked me into interviews, and supported me with career changes.
You traveled me to Alaska.

And in your retirement from "dress up"
You have been my favorite weekend shoe for the last 5 years.
You always met me at the door as a "slip-me-on" shoe , whenever I was headed out.



You then became my gardening and hot tub shoe.
Your permanent location was outside on the deck.
You had a constant state of "muddied beauty"

As time went by I began to experience a few more "Dansko Rolls" than desired"
Sometimes it led to close calls on the back deck stairs.
Your heels are worn and tread uneasy.
It is time to say farewell after 15 years,
but with that comes 15 years of Thanks.

You are the reason why my closet is filled with just black and brown Danskos.
Some are for dressy, some have been downsized to weekend wear
Then the older ones are living on the deck, filling your spot as a gardening shoe.**

**Oh yeah and you also helped me convince husband to get his first pair-he calls them his Mansko's.

Now the question is, what will I do with you.
The possibilities are endless I imagine.

3 comments:

Sarah Duffy said...

You'll be missed ladies!
Plant a commemorative flower in them and add them to your front garden!

Kristin Harrison said...

I was thinking the same thing about the Dansko flower-pot...they're sure to add glorious nutrients to whatever being(s) live in them...flower, herb, snowbug or mite!

Anonymous said...

Mansko's I love you!

Older Posts