Below is the Valentine that Skip shared with me this year. It is the email I sent the evening he proposed to me and he has kept it in his Hotmail Inbox ever since!
This email is how I first informed my family of the news, well most of our my family. There was the brother who deleted it before reading it. :) He eventually heard the news, but I wonder if he will delete this before reading it?
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 12:19:48
Disclaimer: This is being composed at 9pm Alaska time and it really is too late to call any of you, so we decided to allow you to wake up to this wonderful story. It started to pour rain at 5pm tonight and didn't let up until after dinner. The girls were ready to call it a night when suddenly we told them to "Get your collars, Fetch it up" and we headed out for our nightly walk in the park. We meandered our way to "the bridge" where the girls can enjoy walking in the creek and getting drinks and there is as a sign updating us of the recent bear activity on BLM land. Tonight was still the same "black bear and cubs on east end of airstrip 8/15"
Skip noticed fish in the little creek tonight, he hadn't seen that for a couple seasons. I was laughing over IzzWizz who had climbed on a knoll like stump that was in the creek like a floating island. She was perfectly balanced and had the intention of eating as much grass off this little island until she lost her balance. Her back ankles appeared connected and her front legs were gripping the grassy knoll. I was completely intrigued once again at this lab's decision -making and determination.
I called to Skip to "Look at Izz, look at Izz" He was crouched at the upriver side of the bridge appearing to be pulling a stick out of the waters edge possibly to throw for one of the girls maybe? But he remained crouched.
Izz tumbled off and strutted into the creek as if she meant to fall off, so I wandered next to Skip to see what his curious mind was discovering. I saw some pieces of bark flow down stream and under the bridge and thought, wow that stick is really stuck.
The next thing I knew Skip had stood up-turned around and was facing me- inches from face. "I found this on the bottom of the river and want you to have this." In my face was a little maroon aged leather jewelry box... open with a beautiful antique looking diamond ring staring me in the face...I literally saw nothing else.
Tingles like I have never experienced, and would have never expected, or known were possible, tingled all over my neck and shoulder and into my tummy. I looked up and had to look under the brim of his rain hat to see his face and be sure this was all for real. He just starred at me, and I could tell I was not the only one feeling nervous at this moment.
I smiled, leaned towards him with my head just fixed on this ring he had handed off to me. As my hands-holding this piece of jewelry so beautiful, rested on his chest, I knew immediately by the rapid heart beat pounding from his chest, that this was for real. No words now can really explain to you all the communications and emotions that were shared on the rest of the walk, but it is definitely the best walk I have ever had in the park.
We talked about you all as family, and how to tell, what to tell,, and what to say. We asked questions of one another like, Can we just grow up together? Does this mean a wedding? When? Do you have to plan a big event? Who do we tell? When? Skip shared that this ring is a sign of love, and wanting to spend the rest of his life with me, growing up - growing old.... I hope you can get a sense of the joy and affirmation this evenings "walk in the park" has brought to me . Joan, I sit here with your beautiful family ring in front of me and cannot thank you enough for sharing this with me. We of course look forward to talking with each of you at the most convenient time, It almost was going to be 9pm Alaska time 1am eastern, but Skip talked me out of it. Love to all of you and thanks for sharing this with us.
_____________________________________________________________________
My dad's was the first to respond to the email and his one question was...Well, did you say yes??? I guess I skipped that detail in the email, but I obviously did say "yes" and my life has changed for the better ever since!
Thanks Skip!!!
HAPPY VALENTINE"S DAY EVERYONE _____________________________________________________________________
Subject: Walk in the ParkDate: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 12:19:48
Disclaimer: This is being composed at 9pm Alaska time and it really is too late to call any of you, so we decided to allow you to wake up to this wonderful story. It started to pour rain at 5pm tonight and didn't let up until after dinner. The girls were ready to call it a night when suddenly we told them to "Get your collars, Fetch it up" and we headed out for our nightly walk in the park. We meandered our way to "the bridge" where the girls can enjoy walking in the creek and getting drinks and there is as a sign updating us of the recent bear activity on BLM land. Tonight was still the same "black bear and cubs on east end of airstrip 8/15"
Skip noticed fish in the little creek tonight, he hadn't seen that for a couple seasons. I was laughing over IzzWizz who had climbed on a knoll like stump that was in the creek like a floating island. She was perfectly balanced and had the intention of eating as much grass off this little island until she lost her balance. Her back ankles appeared connected and her front legs were gripping the grassy knoll. I was completely intrigued once again at this lab's decision -making and determination.
I called to Skip to "Look at Izz, look at Izz" He was crouched at the upriver side of the bridge appearing to be pulling a stick out of the waters edge possibly to throw for one of the girls maybe? But he remained crouched.
Izz tumbled off and strutted into the creek as if she meant to fall off, so I wandered next to Skip to see what his curious mind was discovering. I saw some pieces of bark flow down stream and under the bridge and thought, wow that stick is really stuck.
The next thing I knew Skip had stood up-turned around and was facing me- inches from face. "I found this on the bottom of the river and want you to have this." In my face was a little maroon aged leather jewelry box... open with a beautiful antique looking diamond ring staring me in the face...I literally saw nothing else.
Tingles like I have never experienced, and would have never expected, or known were possible, tingled all over my neck and shoulder and into my tummy. I looked up and had to look under the brim of his rain hat to see his face and be sure this was all for real. He just starred at me, and I could tell I was not the only one feeling nervous at this moment.
I smiled, leaned towards him with my head just fixed on this ring he had handed off to me. As my hands-holding this piece of jewelry so beautiful, rested on his chest, I knew immediately by the rapid heart beat pounding from his chest, that this was for real. No words now can really explain to you all the communications and emotions that were shared on the rest of the walk, but it is definitely the best walk I have ever had in the park.
We talked about you all as family, and how to tell, what to tell,, and what to say. We asked questions of one another like, Can we just grow up together? Does this mean a wedding? When? Do you have to plan a big event? Who do we tell? When? Skip shared that this ring is a sign of love, and wanting to spend the rest of his life with me, growing up - growing old.... I hope you can get a sense of the joy and affirmation this evenings "walk in the park" has brought to me . Joan, I sit here with your beautiful family ring in front of me and cannot thank you enough for sharing this with me. We of course look forward to talking with each of you at the most convenient time, It almost was going to be 9pm Alaska time 1am eastern, but Skip talked me out of it. Love to all of you and thanks for sharing this with us.
_____________________________________________________________________
My dad's was the first to respond to the email and his one question was...Well, did you say yes??? I guess I skipped that detail in the email, but I obviously did say "yes" and my life has changed for the better ever since!
Thanks Skip!!!



1 comment:
I love this story!!! i'm sure you told it to me shortly after it happened but i loved visualizing it all over again. such love between you two. hurrah! happy valentine's day to you, too! much love, anita
Post a Comment