September 24, 2017

We want to help them age, as they helped us age

I LOVE FALL!



I have always loved the yellow, greens, reds, and oranges that fill every landscape from high to low. I grew up in an area where these colors lasted a wicked long time. Well, longer than here in Alaska. But I have learned to appreciate the colors while they exist here. This weekend was filled with a few of those colorful days. Even when Fall house chores have me confined to our home, i still can enjoy the colors north, south, east and west.






Often as the Fall season departs as quick as it arrives here in Alaska, we spend time "nesting" and getting ready for the winter season. This can entail anything from decluttering material goods, donating unused items from kitchen drawers, getting a count of the "dust bunny" reproduction under the beds and of course looking at things that get us psyched for the next season. 
We read old pages from Snowy Torrents, we look at old pictures from Ski Tours in Alaska on our computer and we even pull out 
Skip's Ski Area Map Collection!


YUP, it is tradition in our house to get out the ski area maps this time of year, sip coffee and talk ski stories. BTW-I have maybe one ski area story to Skip's 20, but it is fun to listen to his adventures.
We pondered a lot of the New England mtns today and got thinking a lot about family. 








Skip and I have aging parents. We are so very, very thankful for our parents and feel blessed to have them on this Earth with us. Many of our ski stories are from when they (our parents) brought us to these destinations and either- dropped me in ski school at Sugarloaf at a wicked young age - or drove to Jay peak with Skip  and had a day with a son- skiing the mtn.

The memories that Skip and I share regarding times like this invite us to really want to be closer to parents and family. We want to help them age, as they helped us age

I hesitated writing about this topic "aging parents", but our generation is facing this and it is a communal effort-supporting our elders. I want to discuss it!  I love my mom and dad and my in laws and maybe, just maybe, we will get a chance to ski these mtns and tell them in person about our "epic" day at Sugarloaf, Jay peak or Mad River Glen


So on this Fall day-I appreciate what we have and where we are headed...
but most of all I want to thank our parents.

Namaste.





No comments:

Older Posts