December 20, 2015

Everyday is my first day out

There is a trend among some diehard skiers to keep track of days skied in a season. I always chuckle at this approach to life. There used to be a time in life when keeping score mattered. I think it was back in high school when goals scored meant a hat trick on the ice, or only one C on a report card meant I could still make honor roll. The SAT scores also mattered in high school because there was a higher power looking closely to see if you were good enough to attend their educational institution (according to your scores)

Skiing - though - has never driven me to keep score. So the other day - when we headed north to ski and I told someone in our ski party that it was my first day out for the season - I realized it was a a great reality.
By having a "first day" out, everyone could feel good about their score in relation to me. I realized that I wanted to try to make everyday out my FIRST day out. Then there was no need to talk score because if everyday was my first day-I didn't need a score.

So what if we approached life this way- not as if every day was our LAST day on Earth, but as if it was our First day of living?
I will get back to you on this approach, but until then here is to another first day on the backcountry:







 Skip n Jo





A great day of intentional decision making, route finding and snow pack assessment. Oh and the turns, yup, we had turns. The way I described the skiing to our friend was…
"You know when you have a piece of toast hot out of the toaster and you place a piece of butter on top and the butter gets soft and immediately the knife begins to wiggle across the toast in contact with the butter and it just keeps traveling smoothly with the butter- wiggling…smooth and wiggling across the surface" - that was our ski day.




No comments:

Older Posts