September 14, 2015

Transitions


I have been on the road for over 8 weeks. 
What I enjoy most is that while  traveling... "stuff"  does  not clutter my life!
My days start with coffee and move right into map reading and travel. 
Travel by foot, bike or car.
While on the road this summer, visiting towns in the west, there was limited interaction with friends, but relationship building with strangers was common.
 I shared natural beauty and conversations with my family members (sister and mom)  and my husband (Skip) morning noon and night. 
Life was simple, very simple…every single day.



(photo credit S. Repetto)

The 8 weeks just came to an end on the calender.


This past week, we headed north to Alaska (home) and transitions became evident through every turn in the road. My mind had a few more thoughts racing through it in the wee morning hours.
My to-do lists became longer.
I started to think about house, dog, car, neighbors, work, groceries, finances, holidays, birthdays, communications and more.
Luckily, I was in a place to recognize these transitions and not let them sway me from the present moment.
I reminded myself in the silence of a bike ride, a walk or long car ride:
 I will get there. I will arrive home and all those to-do's will be there, but what matters is how I arrive there. What am I bringing home from this trip? - Frantic energies, worries, anxieties, endless "shoulds"?  
OR
  calm mind, simple thoughts, slow movements and commitment to get out doors.


The past 8 weeks have been an injection of awareness. 
The past 8 weeks offered an invitation to apprectiate the basics.
The past 8 weeks have filled my fuel tank with enthusiasm for change.



I will always crave "work." I will always crave having a "plan."



But... as I walked with my morning coffee just this morning, with my dog, on our local trails, at a slow pace….I realized all that I have experienced the past 8 weeks is right inside my backpack and I can choose to pull it out anytime.



 I can seek balance of simple living amongst the clutter of a "home."
I have so many people in my life whose actions have influenced me. I thank them for this influence. They don't even know they offered me inspiration I bet!
Bryn and Louis, Lisa B., Laura S., Skip, Amy D, Steve and Liz, Jo and Pete, Aleph, and many more.


 In times of transition, relationships matter most. I love my family and all those who have come before me. I am now looking to let go of "stuff" and aim to live and love through relationships and the out of doors.

 Like the seasons,  life offers change.  
 I welcome change and transition and am open to what life has to offer next.


"Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast-you also miss the sense of where you are going and why." Eddie Cantor

No comments:

Older Posts