August 11, 2015

A Gazatteer is my book of choice in the west

So my sister and I have found great trails to hike in order to see far off in the distance in B.C. and  Montana. I get amused by the expanse and the wilderness and parklands that surround towns down here in the northwest.

Today though, we were in a car, driving... and I still had the most amazing reaction to what surrounded us. I will not pretend to have all the directions, ranges and rivers comprehended in my script tonight, but I will tell you a few things I learned and loved about today.
1. The farms and agricultural scene heading south west of Bozeman was inspiring.


2. The Madison River is a place I want to return to.



  3. Virginia City has done it- the old is old and is still old. The history is there and nothing interferes (except a few tourists like me and made in china items). A great gold mining town!


4. The roadway that turns with the rivers over hills and next to Mtn ranges is breathtaking.The Gallatins? The Pioneer Range? The Bitterroots? The Tobaccos? The Tetons? The Lemhi Range? They were out there somewhere today, shedding canyons, ridges, and mtn tops across the horizons-keeping our camera shutters busy throughout the drive.




 4.5 Dillion Patagonia Outlet- it is less energy to fax in orders on sale days than to go to the store and get overwhelmed with choices. I walked away needing nothing today-Woo-Hoo!

5. The Salmon River and the town of Salmon…a gem! WOW!! The drive down 93 South from Lost Trail ski area was fabulous and then the carving canyon walls of the Salmon river forks. 

Lost Trail Ski Area 

banks of the Salmon River

6. The Junkyard Bistro-yup a restaurant not to be missed in Salmon.

We will be sure to add to the list of why Idaho's Salmon is so good, as we will hit a trail or two tomorrow- but it was 93 degrees today when we went into town for dinner and there is not a lot of shade on the hills here. Maybe the hike to the hot springs will be our destination!

No comments:

Older Posts