July 09, 2015

Journey of a lifetime

When I hear the term "lifetime" I turn backwards; I look back.
I review the time I have spent in my life-living, experiencing, doing.

When I hear the term "journey" I look forward, into the future, wondering about the next moments in time.

But when I discuss a "journey of a lifetime" my head swivels back and forth.
I grab onto what was, take what is, and step forward into what can be.

I am about to take a "journey of a lifetime."

Let me explain…

My mom, known to many as Nina, Gammie, Mrs. Scrib., is the person who brought me into my life. My mom and I...we are like this : (imagine fingers crossed and held in the air). We go way back.
                                           
As an infant, she was a protecter to me. She showed me how to do things.
As an adolescent, I think I attempted to tell her how to do things  and she remained patient... oh was she patient!

As an adult she has become my companion. We together share resources and supports, curiosities and celebrations. We both practice how to play the game of life. Like teammates on an athletic field, we have the same goal and will support each other 'til the end.

Well, back to this idea of "journey of a lifetime."

Very soon, my mom and I will be loading up truck, packing it tight and taking a journey.
We will be packing childhood, adolescent and adulthood memories in our luggage. We will each bring our own belongings, but obviously will have shared "baggage". After all, a significant part of our lives have been lived together-shared together-explored together.

We are driving from Alaska to Montana with some time in British Columbia to pick up my sister Anne and explore B.C.! From there it is a mother-daughter journey of 3 headed to "The lower 48"  and the experience just gets fuller.

"Journey of a Lifetime."

Just typing those words, saying them out loud, thinking what they mean, inspires my mind to welcome the experience.
I don't like to live with hopes or dreams. I prefer to accept what is. But when it comes to travel, I have a few things I do look forward to.



Landscapes, new and inviting landscapes.
Mtns, rivers, lakes and streams.
Swimming. I love swimming.
Small towns and wild flowers.
New trails, sidewalks, roads and paths.
Conversations. Inspirational, spontaneous, easy, shared conversations.




I will be on the road for a while- exploring. I welcome this journey and my partners that will join me.
A journey of a lifetime-a blank canvas waiting for color, pattern, texture and design from past and present and into the future.
I am looking forward to sharing this experience with some very special people in my life. We will attempt to share this journey the best we can via The Daily Fizz. Until then, it is time to get strong, get healthy and pack some bags! As we say to our 7 year old black lab, it is almost time to….Load Up!

















3 comments:

peg said...

Oh Lizzie, I have a lump in my throat and tears welling in my eyes! What a wonderful journey! I can only imagine and vicariously experience what it would be like to have a journey with my sweet sweet mom. You are very fortunate to be in the place in your life, and your mom a healthy place in hers to be able to travel this road together. Of course your sister too! I wish you love and safe travels. If you get down Oregon way, you are all welcome here at my place! I look forward to your posts. I trust your physical healing is moving forward with no hitches.

Unknown said...

Liz
I loved reading your post and I wish you, your dear mom and Anne a safe, wonderful, amazing journey. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs to you all xoxo Courtney

dana said...

blast off!
cant wait to read the journey log! I think its so damn great you can and will do it with mom! Cant remember her- she must be one hell of a chic!!!!!!!!! doing the roll with you two crazy shiny sisters.....

xoxo best
dana

Older Posts