We are 5 days 'til his procedure and as usual I am embracing the positives that are being delivered as a result of surgery. Of course it is about his quality of life improving, but this blog will be about me, the caretaker and how I am adjusting to the pre-op planning and getting ready to support him post-op over the next 6-8 weeks.
The Good news:
First, I have fallen back in love with cooking! I have gone to the library twice and gotten out books on anti-inflammatory diets and immune boosting foods. I have already prepped two meals today and lets just say they contained more colors that ROY-G-BIV!
Second, we are adding a new member to our family this winter. No, I am not pregnant. But as many of you know Skip and I treat our toys like members of the family - once we enter into a relationship, it lasts long term. Shovels are getting put aside this winter and a snowblower is being investigated as a new member of the family. It will be our first gas powered small engine tool. We think this is a smart investment if we want the one healthy back in the family to stay healthy!
Third, we have spent many hours in doctors office getting tests, x-rays, scans and every time I walk out of our appoints I cannot help but think of ALL the people in my life who have had health battles. Colon cancers, Breast cancers, Prostate cancers, unknown cancers, heart conditions, mental health conditions, joint injuries, car accidents, bike accidents, birth complications, and many other UNEXPECTED LIFE CHANGING events.
I think of you all on a regular basis and what you and your families are going through or have gone through.
When the risk of losing good health becomes a reality our paradigms shift and perspectives change.
If there is one essential message in the process Skip and I are hearing, it is embrace those you love and be thankful for all you have in life.
To have does not mean material having, it means balanced having. What I am most thankful for is the ability to have relationships, contentment and understanding to what is being delivered through experiences both today and tomorrow.
I have very little confidence in my grammatically written words above, but the meaning behind them is rock solid in my heart. Every experience in life no matter how difficult has benefits. I thank you for reading and to my family far away, I will continue to connect you to our benefits of the upcoming Back Surgery as we know there will be many.
2 comments:
Liz-I hope Skip's surgery goes well. Thinking of you guys from Portland.
Catherine
skipper...all the best to you during your surgery and after...liz, caregiving is exhausting...remember to take care of you too. i am a voice of nearly 6 years experience. positive thoughts and energy your way!! xo peg
Post a Comment