This winter has been nothing to Blog about - but for some it has been everything to blog about. Truth be told, The Daily Fizz usually avoids glass half empty reactions to life, hence the lack of stories this winter. The weather has not been cooperative.
But the alders have been covered, the snow depth has increased (this has been easier said than done this year) and conditions are safer.
Now I have reason to blog.
February 14th was a day of love! I was packing my ski pack- I was scraping wax off my skis- I was making my skier's lunch- It was like the good ole days and I had missed this feeling of preparing to go back country skiing!
It has been too long!
After all, this was 2 months later than last season's first day!!!
(First day of skiing last season!)
On Feb 15th
The forecast called for 1-3" so I imagined breaking trail, getting wet on the climb up and I was prepared for snow dumping into the pack when taking skins off. But I was still feeling the love.Jo was the common factor in both first day's. She started my season last year and this year again. The only regret was it was in February, not December this year**
**A disclaimer here is that I should not blame it all on the weather; personal choices have played a role but I am finally realizing the importance of balance when it comes to work, skiing and hockey.
Play Hard, Play Safe and Work In-between is my new mantra!
So here are pics from the first day.
We drove through Turnagain Pass and there was no precip falling and lots were filling up. Jo had been the day prior and knew first hand how much snow there was and what the layers were doing. We expected serious trail breaking. We kept driving into the southern blue skies and we made a great choice!
The sun remained on us all day. We broke trail and loved it! I assume the 12 people in following did too!
A day like this with safe terrain, full sun and delightful powder washed away all regrets of the 3 months of poor conditions and made me look forward to the next possible day on in the mtns.
Feeling Thankful.
No snow falling here-sun glasses all day long!
Yes, we broke trail and it was well worth it!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle...
The mid mtn. campers and folks staying at the hut arrived after our 1st run- all great folks, having fun, getting turns, and examining a funky seasonal snow pack.
Heading home filled to the brim with contentment!
2 comments:
glad you're back, liz!
Looks a little thin but way more than we have! Lovely!
Post a Comment