Most of us have seen The Story of STUFF .Well it, along with my environmentally aware husband, invite continual awareness to my daily actions. Do I still shop? yes. Do I shop a lot ? NOPE. Buyers remorse is constant. I get buyer's remorse when I buy a pair of new running shoes, b/c my old ones are worn out! I get buyers remorse when I buy a new hockey helmet, to replace my 16 year old one!
Today while doing the seasonal reorganization of the garage I did something I have done since I moved to Alaska 13 years ago. I pulled this mug out of the box of old camping stuff and held it like I hold a family photo. I looked at it with smiles on my face. I have had this mug for 21 years and have had no intention of getting rid of it.
This Outward Bound Mug was bought in March of 1992 while I was working with Outward Bound. I loved this mug but I loved my experience even more. This mug represents that experience. Much of what I know today as an educator came from this organization, Outward Bound.
But back to stuff.
This mug has been in a box for more that 10 years and has never been used due to the media hype on toxins and to be honest, travel mugs have improved over time.
Today, I had an empowering moment. I felt permission to LEt It GO! yes it is a reminder, yes it is old, but memories do not have to be stored in stuff on the shelf.
Engrained in my professional and personal life are the ethics and practices of Outward Bound and those will not go away, even if this mug goes away.
They are there forever.
I am sending this mug on to another world. I am making room in my life-clearing out the stuff!
I wonder who else out there has an experience like this and what did you do with that unusable item that holds such memories?
1 comment:
I think it's totally okay to keep it! Sometimes the pressure to 'get rid of stuff' is more oppressive than the stuff itself. Hang onto the mug, it's a great memory and you love it.
Post a Comment