June 27, 2013

Seasonal living in Alaska


I went for a post dinner hike with my friend Sarah last night and we decided to hike up in the Chugach Front Range. It was an interesting experience. Interesting is not the right word, so let me explain what I am trying to say...
Everything we were doing was exactly what I did in November, but the terrain looked different, felt different and sounded different and my feet did not carry skis on them this time.

 There was a connection last night with the terrain that was so comforting. I had climbed in the chill of winter, in the dark of winter and in the white of winter and loved the experience and here I was climbing in the heat of summer, light of summer and color of summer and was also loving the experience.

Realization: Seasonal living is a need for me, but experiencing the relationship between the seasons is a passion.



Saddle between Flattop and  Peak 2 in June

Saddle between Flattop and  Peak 2 in November
Hiking down from Peak 2 in June

Skiing down from Peak 2 in November


No comments:

Older Posts