March 10, 2013

Good Friends Make Hard Times Easier

3.10.13
I sit here in an airport in Florida on my way home early from our vacation. I am heading back to Alaska to be with our girl Izzy. 
Her conditions have changed for the worse and our dear friends Amber, Mary and Mike let nothing go unnoticed. As a team they carried Izzy " like a queen" on a dog bed into the vet late last night with concern of her physical state and mood shift.

They called, text and face timed images to Skip and I as we experienced something we had only dreaded from afar...that something would happen, to someone we love, in our absence...and in this case it was Izzy.

That is a human fear that goes everywhere with all of us. 

I sit here in the airport exhausted from the experience  of long distance fear and anxiety, but relieved that friends like the team above put their 100% unconditional love towards Izzy since we left. This was Amber.s second trip to the vet unexpectedly with  Izz. She put her needs aside and loved on that girl every moment it was required and then some.

The pictures from the ER lasts night were images of Izzy nuzzled on Amber's lap on the floor in the vet room, laying content on a dog bed, on the floor. A comforting site to our tear feared eyes .
Mary was communicating between all parties and Mike was the support team leader.

I am writing to express our appreciation for these friends. I am in awe of the depth of care they offered while we were so far away and couldn't do anything to fix the situation.

We needed to make difficult decisions this morning at 4:30 am. We still had a week here, and I had not seen my in laws.
What to do?

As my father stated, we are dividing our responsibilities, which also is not easy for us humans in times of stress.
The decision was made.
I will get back as soon as possible to support Izzy. And Skip will head to spend the week with his family.
Holding onto sadness is not helpful at this time.
I love my family, I love my inlaws, I love skip and I love my dogs. 
I am challenged by the fear of what next with Izz.

Once again we need to find balance. 
I am about to load my plane and will be sleeping aside Izzy in less that 12 hrs.
I love you Izz!



No comments:

Older Posts