July 03, 2012

Happy 40th Aunnie

I don't usually post about my crafts or other people's birthdays but in this case they go hand in hand. I started today cleaning my art room after a year of having it be an office. I spent time organizing paints, matching cards with envelopes, organizing stamps and beads and giving away items to neighbors to make art with... that have not been used in years.


But what I wanted to highlight was what I did with a salvation army chalkboard that I picked up 50 cents.



My friend Aunnie is turning 40 and  I hadn't sat down to make art in a long time. This 50 cent  chalkboard brought the two together.

I started with adding colors...shabby chic? not really...but kind of...
blue paint

For shabby chic I read you need multiple colors, so on goes some green.

I tend to be impatient when I craft, so instead of sanding to get a rough look, I just wiped the two colors with a dry cloth...it worked!

Off comes the tape...now what?

Button, Buttons, I have LOTS O' BUTTONS!

Maybe on the frame? glued? beaded? 

The glue gun comes out and beads begin to get strung. The glitz and glimmer of the bead  selection was inspiration from my friend Shelley who never holds back when it comes to adding color and bling through beads and buttons.

As my mentors over the years have always taught me, Art  is about the process. So the result tonight is a hand made gift for my friend, but also a rejuvenated energy that has been away for far too long. The energy of art making, crafting, being creative! Oh to have the office put away and the art room back! YAHOO!

HAPPY 40th Aunnie and I hope we have lots of  creating  in the near future!!! I will deliver your new chalkboard tomorrow I hope!!

No comments:

Older Posts