April 17, 2011

Portage Lake / Portage Glacier ski

Where is portage glacier ?
We don't see it because it has retreated significantly since 1958, so much so that we now have three miles of Portage Lake between the shore and the glacier. The Visitor Center was covered by Glacier approx.50 years ago.



At this time of year many locals jump on their skate skis and crust cruise 3 miles across the lake to the glacier and pop up over the pass to look into Prince William Sound.
Skip, Jupiter and I had an incredible time...I think the word DELIGHTFUL works well here, like it does most times I blog about our Alaskan Outdoor adventures.



Skiing up to portage Glacier



An incredible experience

View from the pass-looking down at Portage Glacier


Jupe waiting for her camel back drink- she has it down.



Prince William Sound and Whittier in the back ground-what a 360 view- From Portage Pass we were in view of Portage Glacier, Burnes Glacier and Shakespeare Glacier!!



Just a fabulous experience to invite that feeling of delight, appreciation, and love for the wild lands of Alaska

Appreciate
Breathe
Just Be

No comments:

Older Posts