April 21, 2009

Slowing down the speed of life....

Recently I have been invited to slow down the speed of my life. What this really means is recent circumstances beyond my control have forced me to slow down and I am learning to put a positive spin on these circumstances. I thought I would start by listing what I have learned as benefits of slowing down:

1. I drink more tea
2. I cook with more whole foods and eat with appreciation for what is in front of me.
3. I do more yoga
4. I have more time to communicate with people in my life.
5. I take more baths instead of showers
6. I write more letters
7. I read more
8. I see more possibilities, as opposed to excuses.
9. I see more time as opposed to lack of it.
10. I put fewer things off til later.

I wanted to share a quote out of a book I am reading. It rung true to me.
"Letting Go, of course, is a scary enterprise for those of us who believe that the world revolves only because it has a handle on the top of it which we personally turn, and that if we were to drop this handle for even a moment, well- that would be the end of the universe. But try dropping it. Sit quietly for now and cease your relentless participation. Watch what happens.
The birds do not crash out of the sky in mid-flight, after all. The trees do not wither and die, the rivers do not run red with blood. Life continues to go on-why are you so sure that your micromanagement of very moment in this whole world is so essential? Why don't you let it be?
(pg155-6 Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat Pray Love)

Gilbert goes on to ask , what is she supposed to do with all her restless yearning, hyped up fervor and hungry nature if she is being told to let it be? What should she do with her energy instead?

I am realizing I have asked those same questions all my life while I have held a fear of slowing down. Now unexpectedly, I see that that energy gets redirected into places that hold such incredible purpose and meaning.

I find now my goal has nothing to do with keeping up, but has everything to do with NOT speeding up.

Here's to moving slow and actually seeing the meaning behind our daily actions.

1 comment:

Christy said...

I needed to read this this morning...thank you!!!!!

I loved Eat, Pray, Love, glad you are slowing down and enjoying it.

I'll send my healing thoughts to you at 9:30

Older Posts