In 1992 this group of women eat, "sleeped" and drank Heron Field Hockey for most of their college career. Sally was our Head Heron and to this day she plays an influential role in all our lives.
As we age, connecting with old friends and teammates is a wonderful experience. It provides opportunity for us to not only test our memory :) but best of all it provides opportunity to reflect on influential past experiences. This group of Herons faced alot of success, but we faced a lot of hardships too. Painful pre-seasons that forced us into ice baths and tape jobs, but it all was for a great outcome and reward.
__________________________________________________
As many of you know, I have lived in Alaska with my husband Skip for 16 years. I love the lifestyle of working in the local schools, volunteering for local agencies and organizations and best of all recreating on foot, wheels, skates and skis. I am thankful everyday.
_____________________________________________________________
Well, just yesterday a "baby heron" (as Marybeth used to call her) flew to Alaska and is here for a week of backcountry skiing.
Of course I would love to make this blog all perfectly tied in to our experiences as Herons in the 90's but since we need to get out on the slopes today- I will be brief and just state that Katie A. has been one of the best visitors to AK in all my 16 years! (and she has only been here for 24 hrs so far!)
She arrived with one STRONG intention.
Get me the gear to get me to the top of those mtns!!!
So we did just that - thanks to John Sykes and Co. and their backcountry rental shop.
So in the light of the morning sun, while sipping coffee with Katie A and Skip at this moment, I want all Herons to know along with our families -
Katie A and I are climbing the mtns in Alaska this week and we are talking non stop about William Smith, pre-seasons, families- parents and siblings, life's celebrations and struggles.
Katie A used an analogy this morning of William Smith and our team being like a nest and we have all flown out and are just now are starting to come back.
For me personally, this week thus far is inviting so much reflection on the past and comparison to the present. I am thankful for all my past teammates and coaches and just want Sally Scatton to know we are still talking about the things she taught us on and off the field.
(Oh and all you Heron teammates- the plaque sits on the kitchen table and memory lane is traveled with every meal! We are thinking about you all!)
Until the next blog, we are heading north for a day on our skis.
More later!
No comments:
Post a Comment