April 11, 2015

Listen to your heart!

It was 22 years ago I was writing this 7 year plan for my professor, "The Doc" at HWS Colleges. I had just returned from my semester "abroad" which was spent being an intern with Outward Bound in Florida. We took teens in the juvenile justice system on 4 week canoe trips on the Suwannee River. If they graduated the wilderness course, their sentences would be reduced. These were kids from the detention homes in Orlando and being on the river, paddling at night, and  experiencing  a 3 day solo in the wilderness was not in their comfort zone.
 I share this document for a number of reasons.
1. It does sometimes pay off to hold onto stuff! This is 22 years old and I found it in my file cabinet! :)
2. Listening to ourselves, even if 22 years late, can help us learn a lot about ourselves.
3. Sometimes it takes someone else asking for the plan, for us to spell out our goals in life.
4. No personal hopes or dreams should be overlooked. What comes from the heart is the truth!

What I loved in Maine back then is why I love Alaska today.
"Maine-I love the state-beauty-peace-challenge. There is no society based expectations. You are there, existing with yourself, helping others teach others, while teaching yourself. "

Like 22 years ago, "I exist not as much myself alone, but myself in respect to a significant other"
I am so fortunate to have found Skip and he is that friend I will have forever. We live with a comfortable independence, balanced and supporting each other. Unlike 22 years ago, I know this will be forever!

Interesting that my plan for a career transition this year sounds very similar to the plan 22 years ago as I was graduating college.
"I feel a real excitement, a challenging desire to experience. After taking time to play, I hope to move on, get focused and do the resume thing for a job in a new program, a new community, location and lifestyle"
The fact that I said the following statement 22 years ago ..."I would hope to move out west and if I like it, stay… maybe even Canada?"
Who would have thunk? 

"I am happy when caring for others and helping others succeed through their struggles. I want to gain the strength  and experience so to grow and help others grow!"
This my friends is an example of trusting the process. What I was planning for 22 years ago is so incredibly aligned with my personal and professional goals today.
 The world offers it all, we just have to follow our heart.

I am feeling very thankful for all that came before this 7 year plan, the years that came after and the many years head.
Listen to your heart, write it down and stash it away to read another day.
What you hope for matters!
Thanks Doc!


No comments:

Older Posts