October 26, 2009

Stephen Huneck's Dog Chapel

We went back East for my Great Aunt Frances Memorial Service in September, she was 94 years old, and the celebration of her life was wonderful. One of our adventures while we were back there was a drive north through Northern Maine, NH, and Vermont to see the beauty of the fall colors. While crossing over from NH to Burlington, Vermont we passed the above statue and sign and I was so surprised. I said, "pull over , it is the dog chapel, it's the dog chapel! we have to go...!"

I had read Stephen Huneck's books, seen his art, and had heard about the Dog Chapel, but had never thought I'd get a visit in. It was incredible, not a dry eye the whole visit. The best part was that Skip uses a picture of Magie, our yellow lab who is no longer with us, as a book mark whenever we travel and sure enough, she was with us on this trip tucked in his Harry Potter Novel. So we followed the tradition of the Dog Chapel and I retrieved the photo from the car. We placed a picture of our beloved Magie with a note of memory, on the wall where we could find a spot. We did not want to block any other loved creature or handwritten note.
As we placed her strategically up on the wall, we felt like she was in the company of hundreds and thousands of other loved and cherished dogs. It was a wonderful experience, and not easy.

I will leave you the website about Stephen Huneck's beautiful location in St Johnsbury Vt.
It is a must visit for anyone who lives with a special place in your heart made just for four legged creatures that WOOF.
http://www.dogmt.com/chapel.php










Our beloved canine companion Montana Magie Bear 1996-2007




Magie, you will be with us forever and thanks for teaching me about both love and loss; a part of life that is real and true.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

7:47a.m. and you've got me crying! Now I want to go. Thanks for posting.

Older Posts