I could write paragraphs on what it is like realizing you are a toruist in your own home state. The one you grew up in and spent 30 years of your life living and loving and thought you would never leave.
The following are ways I found out I am now a toruist in my own home state:
1. I had to ask for directions to the downtown grocery store.
2. I asked for free postcards when I was buying Lobster Bisque at the most touristy lobster restaurant on the Portland Pier.
3. When a woman in the grocery store line was asking for directions, I actually said, "sorry I am not from around here, I can't help you." (because I didn't know how to tell her directions to her destination-seriously)
4. I began to shop in Maine t-shirt and ballcap stores! I actually want a Maine ball cap to bring home.
5.I attended the Yarmouth Clam Festival. I bought fried clams while attending the Yarmouth Clam Festival! I hadn't been there in 25 years!
6. I took pictures at The Yarmouth Clam Festival Parade!!!
I have loved every minute of this trip. It has been filled with big life altering realizations . A few realizations are:
1.I have a close knit and unique community in Alaska that I now miss terribly when I am away from them.
2. I miss my friends, my neighbors and my colleagues.
3.I miss the mountains and trails out the front of our house.
4.I miss not driving everywhere.
5.I miss my dogs.
6. (number one)I miss my husband.
But I have loved this family time. From sharing alaskan stories with nieces and nephews, to answering questions regarding my life in Alaska. My family is very special and I love visitng them! I also love watching everyone grow up and take on new roles in our family system.We had an all family dinner without mom and dad, and we didn't break the grill, or overcook the corn. We all got along wonderfully and all loved it. The kids played hard and the adults ate, talked in a civil and mature manner, and really enjoyed each others company.
I just love Being an Adult amongst my brothers and sister. It is a whole new role that is in "Who Am I?"family wardrobe. Being Aunt Fizz is one of the funnest hats to wear out of that wardrobe of course! Being the Youngest is a costume I rarely wear now and that is great, because the grandchildren wear it so well and it brings joy to us all!
My pictures are many. Here are a few that really tell a snip-it of my adventures in...
Maine, the place I used to call home, but now it is my favorite place to visit. Thanks
No comments:
Post a Comment