June 03, 2008

In my own words...

I can no longer compare this puppy experience to other's parenting experience, I can only state what it is like for me. The challenges of raising a puppy are so real, so true and so right in front of me, I decided to blog about it.
No one says "living in the moment" is easy. I have been living in the moment the past 4 days and it has been very challenging. The challenge is NOT the 8 week old puppy. The challenge is
...drum role please....
ME!!!

I am my own challenge.
I have had to be face to face with myself this week through this "new puppy" experience and wow...it has been eye-opening, discouraging, invigorating, frustrating, and educational all packed up in one.

I am embracing it and yet speaking very honestly about it. This is hard. "Parenthood" is hard. Being in a place of taking care of another living being and not wanting to fail. Trying to be prepared for all the unexpected while also trying to take care of myself??? While also trying to connect with friends?? While trying to locate my regular routines? While trying to be there for my family?.....WOW, what a job.
How did my folks do it?
How do all my current friends/siblings do this? with their 4 week old child? 4 month old puppy?
3 month old daughter ? 6 year old son ? 15 year old dog?


No photo can explain what is happening here this week. But if there was an image it would be of me staring straight in the mirror, face to face with myself! This puppy raising experience has been teaching me how to look closely in that mirror and if I do not like what I see, then change it!

Jupiter, the 8 week old lab is the cherry on top, the frosting on the cake, the light at the end of the tunnel. I just need to partner with myself in order to partner with Jupiter. She is delightful.

PS- Speaking of looking face to face with something that surprises you, I just saw a big black bear on a run in the park tonight. 30 yards ahead, bumbling down the trail. That stopped me in my tracks and made me realize there is something other than "my self image" that can make me a little nervous this week!
Oh what our animals have to teach us, if we have our eyes open enough to see

Thank you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was really bowled over by your thoughts.

I don't anyone appreciates the weighty significance of becoming responsible, minute by minute, for another living creature.

I know my daughter and her husband know their lives will change, but there is no way to convey what that change will be like, or how radical it will be.

Older Posts